Mathri is an all time favorite evening tea snack in most part of India. It is very easy to make soft and crispy mathri at home using the following steps. The main ingredient in mathri is all purpose floor which is very easily available in every indian house. Here is the step by step method of cooking soft and crispy mathri recipe.
Cuisine: Indian Snacks – Crispy Mathri Recipe
Preparing Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Ingredient for Crispy Mathri Recipe:
- 2 Cup All purpose Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper Crushed
- 1 Teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon ghee
- 1 Teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Seeds)
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt as per taste
- Oil or ghee for deep fry
Method of making Crispy Mathri:
- Take Maida (all purpose floor), Black Pepper, Ajwain, Kalonji , Ghee and Salt in a mixing bowl.
- Now mix all ingredients using your hand until mixture turns crumbly.
- Add water in small incremental steps (1-2 Tablespoon at a time) and knead it into a firm dough. It should be harder than Paratha’s dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet cotton cloth and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions (Ball).
- Take the first ball and put it on a rolling board (Chakla) and make a big roll.
- Then cut it into a circle shape with the help of dal bowl or any box or you can use small glass also for cutting into a perfect circle shape.
- Then make 8-10 Prinks on each circle by using fork or knife. This will prevent puffing during deep frying.
- Now follow the same method and make the mathri from rest of the dough
- Take oil in a deep frying pan and keep it on medium flame.
- Once oil heated nicely then drop 4-5 mathri at a time.
- After 2-3 minutes turn the flame into low and deep fry it.
- When bottom surface turn golden brown flip it over to another side and deep fry until another side turn golden brown and crispy.
- It will take 6-7 minutes to fry completely from both the sides.
- Once done nicely take out from oil and keep it on tissue paper to soak extra oil.
- Deep fry rest of the mathri in same method.
- Let it get cool down then store it in a air tight container .
- Serve it with Tea or any chutney or as evening snack.
- Make sure the dough is hard otherwise mathri will not turn crispy.
- While deep frying keep it on low flame, it takes long time to deep fry from inside. If you use the high or medium flame then it will turn into golden brown immediately but may remain uncooked from inside.
Also try out this other variant of Mathri : Gujarati Farsi Poori
For recent post updates on my blog, LikeFacebookbook page to get the feed: Kalpskitchen